1. cartoon animal ability-bias
There are shows centered around the fact that ponies can speak…and live in houses…and sew dresses. But they have pets! Who are mute wild animals without any of these humanized abilities. I call this ‘cartoon animal ability-biased’.
Perhaps it is best represented by the band of civil servant cartoon dogs that can operate heavy machinery but the cat and chicken are just normal ole animals without imposable thumbs or the ability to do wardrobe changes in elevators. This has to be confusing for all the kids watching. Why don’t they stick with shows about magic girls who walk on rainbows and their little sprite sidekicks?! That show just made sense.
2. what happens in costco.
The other week I thought I’d stop at the Coscto when I was out-of-town on a trip. This is the conversation Conor and I had in our kitchen. . . .
Conor “Whenever we go to Costco we spend way too much, don’t bother going to Costco.”
Me “But I have a list, it’ll be fine.”
“Oh Shawna, you don’t want to be that person.”
“The one that all the Costco employees talk about in the lunch rooms on their breaks….’she came in with a list!….a list!….then she bought EVERYTHING!’ ”
“….oh my gosh, you are totally right….”
What happens in Costco does not stay in Costco. No, it’s the opposite, allllll of Costco follows you home. I really don’t know how I don’t manage to buy all the staff as well, I’m buying everything else! They might as well come home and manage it all for me.
Sewing is wildly appealing to our inner creative, but it also looks deceivingly simple. I mean, the easiest point was even getting the thing threaded in the first place. A year and hotdog bribery dinner later and one of my besties had to come and teach me to thread it.
So then I attempted to begin learning how to sew…. and now I’m scared. Scared I will take it way too far and get overtaken with the sewing bug (a reason I will never take up scrapbooking #shitwouldgetcrazy). Or scared will just rage drink out of frustration that I can’t do it and then have some weird tragic ‘drinking and stitching’ injury. Either way, stay tuned for my epic Christmas project I have publicly committed to completing this year.
4. baby shoes
Perhaps it is less about the shoes and more about the baby foot. Is it just me or are baby feet like little paws, taller than wider.
Putting shoes on those feet is like stuffing my third trimester self into maternity spanks. I think the shoe manufacturers would be wise to create a shoe that opens up like a clamshell, we could pop up the top and put that baby paw right in there and shut the lid. This is why you see babies dressed by their dads, they have layered on a pair of each family members’ socks onto the baby’s feet instead of shoes. Dads are problem solvers.
5. what I did wrong
I have an awesome husband who treats our household chores like a partnership. He does dishes as much, if not more, than I do. But when he does them like this….
I think he’s secretly mad at me and corner him in the hallway asking him what’s up. He laughs and tells me to get a life. Sure he’s right, he’s just helping out around the house….but seriously, what’s up?
This post is part of #fiveonfriday where I team up with fellow Canadian bloggers and we share our list of five. Check them out and follow our Five on Friday Pinterest Board!
- For five funny things that will make you feel better about your own parenting skills, check out Jac and Juli at TwoFunMoms! http://www.twofunmoms.com/.
- Check out the blog that is basically all things in life at Eclectic Soapbox, because variety keeps it eclectic.
- For tips on green living on a sensible budget with a smattering of parenting, ranting and raving, check out Judith at Juicy Green Mom
- For Everything and the kitchen sink that happens in life, check out Diane at Canadian Basics for your 5 on Friday for laughs and fun!
- Paula at Product Junkie
- Local to Edmonton, this mom is blogging about a little bit of everything. Things to do with the family, a simple DIY, or life as a family of 5. Check out Christine at Just Another Edmonton Mommy:Just Another Edmonton Mommy
- Louise of Surrey BC shares about the reality of family life with some very energetic kids at Talk Nerdy To Me