We all have a relationship with food.
It can go from one extreme of food is simply fuel we need to survive, all the way to food is a constant way to experience a pleasure.
In my life, I think I have swung to both sides of this spectrum.
I have been paying attention to my relationship with food. What I eat, why I eat, how I feel when I eat and how I feel after. I am learning a lot, and I know I have more to learn.
Paying attention leads us to the subject of MINDFUL EATING. This is something I’ve been interested in because I don’t think it came naturally to me. It is also something I’ve been wanting to teach my kids more about.
I asked Jessica Penner to come and teach us more about this topic. Jessica is a Registered Dietitian from Smart Nutrition and the creator of the I Quit Overeating program.
We covered so many great issues on mindful eating that mamas can relate to:
- Regaining control and being confident in what we are eating
- Food freedom in making choices around food. Let me say it again: FOOD FREEDOM!
- Overeating – restrictions vs permission
- Evening eating (anyone else going for those bedtime snacks?)
- Emotional eating
- Comfort eating, is it always bad?
- Food as coping with hard days/emotions
- The diet mentality, food management for weight loss
- Being mindful
- listening to your eating instincts
- enjoying food
- ‘clearing your plate’
- the grace we need to listen to ourselves
- removing food restrictions
- Being scared to be hungry
- Food chatter in the brain
Get started with Smart Nutrition: THE HEALTHY EATING PUZZLE QUIZ
Other Links Mentioned:
The Life on Purpose Academy -monthly lessons and coaching for moms who want to live with more peace, purpose and presence