Motherhood is hard, but sometimes we make it harder than it needs to be by becoming a Mom Martyr.
I would know, I was one.
I was knee-deep in the work and struggles of motherhood and I needed everyone to know it. However, the way I was showing up and handling life and motherhood was actually making my life harder (cue the marriage counselling!)
Reflecting back on where I was at, what I see I actually needed was to address my own personal doubts and fears and lack of enjoyment in motherhood.
I am sharing 15 ways that mom martyrdom can show up for you.
As you are listening keep in mind that these are extreme examples and I don’t think everyone will be doing all these things – though I felt like I sure way. These points may be hard to hear and that is ok, I felt the same way when these things were pointed out to me.
But, I want to encourage you that there are steps you can take if you want to try something new.
Read the related blog post: How to know if you are a Mom Martyr and what you can do about it.
What to do about being a mom martyr?
- Ask yourself what you do want in motherhood, what do you want it to look like?
- How do you want to show up (live your values)
- What do you want to move towards (live your vision)
- Focus on relationships that help you thrive in motherhood
- 12 ways to strengthen and heal your marriage
- How to be a good Mom Friend
- Practice self- awareness to see how you are showing up. I love to use the Enneagram for this
- Get proactive – plan your day to make more peace and purpose for yourself.
- Get some support – counselling or life coaching (the Life on Purpose Academy is a great and affordable option for this)
Other links mentioned