There’s a lot of great pins for this year’s fall fashion trends and rules. However, let’s not neglect the timeless fashion lessons that can be learned right at home.
If you have toddlers who are dressing themselves then you are getting a lesson in self-expression through reckless style swagger. Toddlers don’t give a hot-loving thought to what anyone thinks about fashion. They wear what they want, how they want, when they want.
So let’s take a page out of their play books…..
1. Dress for the job you want. Stacey and Clinton were right! And no job is out of the question. If it is a ‘title’, it is a career option and you have to chase that dream. So strap on those sparkly shoes, fanny packs and lady bug wings to be the best ever ‘magician/ballerina/explorer/every other thing that ever requires a uniform, accessories or shoes’ in the history of time!
2. Dress for the weather you want. Because everyone knows that wearing socks in winter is pretty much begging to the heavens for an arctic blizzard. And wearing a sweater at the beach will not only tell the sunbeams that you don’t accept their glaring rays, it also provides two extra pockets to store extra sand for a snack later.
3. Own it. Even if you outfit teeters between ‘I’m a senior who speed walks in the mall on Wednesdays’ and ‘I heard there was smorgasboard’ you own that fashion statement in all its monochrome stretchy-waisted glory!
4. When in doubt, chose comfort. Some might say ‘form over function’, but then you could never wear pajamas all day long. And if anyone tries to make you wear not-stretchy clothes, rise up in protest. They are trying to smother your creative expression and ability to practice handstands at the dinner table.
5. Don’t be afraid to mix patterns. But let’s not get into the drawn out debates over stripes, florals, pattern sizes and this year’s Pantone picks. You only need to know one rule, these five words: if it exists, it matches. Period. Drops mic and walks off stage.
Christine at Just Another Edmonton Mommy
Jac and Juli at Two Fun Moms
Paula at Product Junkie
Carin at Eclectic Soapbox
Diane at Canadian Basics
Amber at Pitter Patter Constant Chatter
Judith at Juicy Green Mom
Join in Simple Saturdays
Around here I'm doing less blogging and more emailing. Sign up to get the bi-weekly email Simple Saturdays in your inbox.
You will love it. It isn't just any old email! It is a fun, quick read of insights, tips and references for everything simple, on purpose, and waffles.